There is increasing demand for open source talent!
The 2016 Open Source Jobs Survey and Report conducted in the USA by The Linux Foundation and Dice ( available here ), highlights that companies are experiencing increasing demand for open source talent. Since Open Source is increasingly popular platform for building software and technology, 65% of employers reported more open source hiring than in other parts of their business. In fact, 59% of hiring managers are looking to increase open source hiring and 87% say it is hard to find open source talent.
So which are the most important Open Source skills according to hiring managers?
- 51% - Cloud technologies (OpenStack, Cloud Foundry, etc.)
- 21% - Networking
- 14% - Security
- 8% - Containers
- 7% -Other
This survey also finds that open source professionals keep their skills up-to-date using the following methods:
- 90% - Reading books and online resources
- 60%- Taking online training courses
- 45% - Attending conferences and events
- 42% - Engaging in social and professional networking
- 41% - Contributing to open source software projects
- 35% - Participating in open source meetups
- 23% - Attending instructor lead training